Friday, August 17, 2012

Comodo Dragon review

There are many web browsers available: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Opera, Google Chrome, ... I tested all of them and even though I have a personal preference for Opera, I have had a hard time with it recently. Compatibility problems with Google services (the blogger platform that hosts this post, the Google drive service which I recommend) and more recently I even started having problems with some other websites (my bank website, InfoBarrel, ...). Opera just came up with a new update today so maybe everything is working fine now.



Anyway, I was quite curious when recently, someone using the web browser Comodo Dragon accessed this blog. I had never heard about this browser before and I had to check it out. Right now, this is the web browser I am using to write this post and I did not think a web browser could convince me so fast! Everything I have tested to now is working fine. Google drive, Google blogger, InfoBarrel, my bank website, ... internet browsing is so fast, the beautiful design reminds me of Opera, so almost only advantages.

The only small things I did not like:
- the help function here and there return a help page about Google chrome! So imagine you try to find out how to configure Comodo Dragon for this or that, you may suddenly have a web page explaining the settings for Google Chrome. This is quite ugly.
- the browser came with the language of the country I currently live in (Norway, so Norwegian). Even though I speak Norwegian, I would rather have my browser in English. Easier, and also better when I take screenshots to show on my blogs. I may have missed the option during the install but I have the feeling that, like some Google products, Comodo Dragon tries to guess your language from your local position
- finally, some small messages can be irritating. For example, do you want to translate this page, or that page? I had to deactivate it (click on the eye of the dragon on the upper left corner of the browser, then go to settings and enter language in the search bar)

Even though, my conclusion is that this browser is good and it was a really nice discovery for me. If you are not happy with your current browser or are a bit curious I invite you to try it. Oh and in case you wonder, the name of the animal is Komodo dragon with a 'K' while the browser is called Comodo dragon with a 'C'. Probably some pun intended but I thought I would clear this out as Google may suggest you look for Komodo dragon instead of Comodo dragon.

No comments:

Post a Comment