Friday, June 1, 2012

How to downgrade Java on Windows


So, you upgraded Java recently and something is broken? Some important sites are not working anymore? Here is how to downgrade the Java software on your PC (for more basic info on Java, please click here).

I am writing this article because I had problems last time I upgraded Java on my PC. After the java upgrade, Internet Explorer and Firefox were working great but I had troubles with Opera. I had Java version 7.0.40 and Opera version 11.64 BUT this article is about how to downgrade Java in general and is not specific to Opera or to this version of Java.

Actually, it is pretty straightforward. When you update Java, it will simply install the new version and will not care about the old one(s). This may sound messy (you will have old Java versions installed for nothing) but in our case now, this comes really handy, as we will simply have to uninstall the newer version of Java and the old version will become the active one automatically.

To uninstall the newer version of Java, go to "Programs and Features". To do this, click on the windows start button, then "Control Panel", then "Programs", and finally "Programs and Features.


You should see a list of programs appearing on the page. Wait a little bit to have all the programs. You should now see a list of Java programs.


What is important is the Java (TM) programs. In the picture above, you can see I had 2 versions: Java 6.0.29 and 7.0.4. The new version I had problems with was 7.0.4, so I simply clicked on it, uninstalled it and I was left with version 6.0.29 which was working fine, like before the upgrade.


The only warning I have is that Java is upgraded regularly to improve security issues. Running old versions of Java is not a perfect solution, just a temporary solution, hoping that the next version will be released soon and will fix the particular problem you have.



If this page helped you, recommend it (+1 button below). It will help other people find this page. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment