Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Problem with Asian characters in Skype (Chinese, Japanese,...)

Yesterday (16 October 2012), the problem happened again to me and I was actually happy about it as I was able to test a bit more about the solution I wrote here:
http://smallittips.blogspot.com/2012/09/how-to-solve-skype-japanese-characters.html

Here is an updated version of the solution.

1) Make sure you log out of the active user who has the problem. I tried by simply closing all the programs and going to the admin account but the problem was not solved. I really had to log out with the current user.

2) Log in as the admin user of the computer.

3) Delete everything inC:\Users\user-with-the-problem\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Internet Explorer
(change "user-with-the-problem" with the username of the user having the problem, ie the user you use when you have the problem)

This may be a bit tricky. First, why Internet Explorer? You may not even use this browser. Well, it seems that Skype is using some shared folders with Internet Explorer. Then, you may not see the folder AppData. Just type it after the username of the user with the problem.

4) Log back on the user you were using and launch Skype. The problem should be solved.

If the problem is not solved, please check the original solution here: http://smallittips.blogspot.com/2012/09/how-to-solve-skype-japanese-characters.html.

7 comments:

  1. Worked for me (using Skype 6.0). Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it helped, thanks for letting me know!

      Delete
  2. It worked like a charm for me (using Skype 6.1.73.129); however, it has failed to correct the squares under Options menu.

    When you go to General tab under Options menu, you see an option about setting program language to one you would like to. When the drop-down menu next to it is clicked, Asian characters don't unfortunately show up there :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, it also fixed the squares under the Options menu for me, so not sure what to do. Did you manage to fix it since then? How did you do it?

      Delete
  3. I do not have AppData folder under my user. And it fails also for the admin account

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The AppData is a hidden folder, you need to write \AppData on the navigation bar.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for this. I chinese in skype at http://preply.com/en/chinese-by-skype and this is really my most common problem. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete